Monday, April 5, 2010

BSNL 3G Settings for the Nexus One  

So I just got the Google Nexus One phone over the weekend, and decided to get a BSNL 3G connection to use with it. I picked the Rs 399/month plan which has a 1GB data limit.

The SIM was activated within a few hours, but the problem was getting the access point settings for BSNL 3G for my phone. The Nexus One isn't sold in India, so when you send a "<MAKE> <MODEL>" SMS to 58355, BSNL doesn't recognize your phone.

A lot of Googling and experimentation later, I finally have 3G working. This post is for those of you who want to use BSNL 3G with the Nexus One. Please note, this is for a Chennai post-paid connection. Settings might vary for other cities.

  1. Open the Settings application
  2. Click on Wireless & Networks
  3. Click on Mobile networks
  4. Click on Access Point Names
  5. Bring up the Options menu (the second button from the left on the soft-touch pad, the one with the horizontal lines) and click New APN
  6. Use the following settings
    • Name: Give any name here. I used BSNL 3G
    • APN: bsnlnet (This might be the only thing you need to change depending on your city)
    • Proxy: Leave this as Not set
    • Port: Leave this as Not set
    • Username: Leave this as Not set
    • Password: Leave this as Not set
    • Server: Leave this as Not set
    • MMSC: Leave this as Not set
    • MMS Proxy: Leave this as Not set
    • MMS Port: Leave this as Not set
    • MCC: 404 (This was the default value on my phone. I didn't change it)
    • MNC: 64 (This was the default value on my phone. I didn't change it)
    • Authentication type: None
    • APN type: Leave this as Not set

I'll probably want to figure out the MMS settings some day, but for now I don't need them.

Do leave comments about whether this helped!

Labels: ,

Anonymous Pankaj said...
Which version of Nexus one u bought - AT&T or T-Mobile.

When did u ordered the Nexus one.
Anonymous Rajesh J Advani said...
I believe I got the T-Mobile one. But both support the 2100 band so both will work with BSNL. I bought mine a couple of weeks back.
Anonymous Saro said...
It works on my X10 too. Thanks a lot.
Anonymous Saro said...
Were you able to make BSNL Live TV work on your mobile? If so share that info as well please.
Anonymous Sir Lapog Kahn said...
Were you able to get rid of the notifications sent by BSNL everytime you use the 3G saying "X KB used, etc"?
Anonymous Pankaj said...
I never got messages from BSNL saying "X KB used. But i would to have that message. Which plan you are using ?
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Buddy thanks a lot for the settings. I think the key lies in the APN name which is bsnlnet. In most of the sites you may find 10 other names for APN such as gprssouth.bsnl.in etc however for NEXUS ONE please use bsnlnet only....